JSC Electricity System Commercial Operator "ESCO"
The Electricity System Commercial Operator commenced functioning in the power sector of Georgia on September 1, 2006. The Commercial Operator is viewed in one context in line with other energy entities of the electric energy sector and represents one of the liquid and important links of the energy system value chain. With the contribution of ESCO human and functional capacities Georgia is an electricity exporting country while the electricity energy sector is the area promising wide future perspectives for the economy of Georgia.
The Electricity System Commercial Operator functions are:
• Sale and Purchase of balancing electricity (capacity) (inter alia through forming medium and long-term contracts on import and export).
• Trade with Guaranteed Capacity in accordance to the Law of Georgia on “Electric Energy and Natural Gas” and the Electricity (Capacity) Market Rules.
• Set up and operate unified database on the wholesale trade including unified metering register.
• Inspection of meters used in the wholesale metering.
• Support construction of the new hydro power plants.
• Execution of other functions defined by the Law.
Directions of Activity:
ESCO plays important role in the process of wholesale trade, within the authorization conferred by the legislation.
ESCO carries out mandatory purchase of the electricity, generated by the newly built power plant, in compliance with the legislation in force.
ESCO shall register with dispatch licensee the standard terms and conditions of contract on purchase and sale of guaranteed capacity.
Aiming at purchase and sale of balance electric power ESCO concludes medium- and long-term import and export agreements.
ESCO shall be empowered to register qualified enterprises for wholesale trade after filing application of established form and submission of documents.
In cooperation with the interested parties, ESCO shall conduct regular monitoring of wholesale settlement metering junctions.